Thursday, 15 July 2010

Fight overpopulation by improving child survival

Synchronicity again: my favourite statistician/public health expert's latest TED talk is up. I really enjoy the way this man things and explains things. This particular talk in particular. Child survival is absolutely crucial to so much. One of the reasons I'm afraid I couldn't sympathise with TAC when they were protesting vociferously against the gentle shift in new funds away from general treatment and towards PMTCT and other mother and child health initiatives. I know AIDS is still a problem but maternal and child health have been a bigger problem for a longer time and, frankly, are more important purely because they affect more people, so it's nice to see them taking centre-stage again. Improving child survival may seem a counter-intuitive solution to overpopulation but it's a solution I'm buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages